11 July 2019
The Office for National Statistics published a provisional estimate of construction output for May 2019:
- Construction output growth was flat (0.0%) in the three-month on three-month all work series in May 2019; this was because of a fall in repair and maintenance of 0.5% being offset by a 0.3% increase in new work.
- In new work, the increase in the three-month on three-month series in May 2019 was driven by growth in private commercial new work and public new housing, which saw growths of 2.2% and 8.4% respectively.
- In repair and maintenance, the decrease in the three-month on three-month series in May 2019 was because of declines in both private and public housing repair and maintenance, which decreased by 2.5% and 3.2% respectively.
- Construction output increased by 0.6% in the month-on-month all work series in May 2019; driven by increases in both new work and repair and maintenance which grew by 0.4% and 1.2% respectively.
- Estimates in this release are consistent with the GDP quarterly national accounts, UK: January to March 2019 publication released on 28 June 2019.