CO2nstructZero’s role is not to develop new solutions, roadmaps or new pathways – there are many groups in the industry well placed to do this – but we believe that the CLC does have a critical role to play in bringing people together to consolidate collective actions and plans for the sector.
We can help drive change by helping to share innovative solutions and set transparent goals and clear actions that everyone can help to achieve.
The story behind CO2nstructZero
In November 2020, the Government published its 10-point plan for a Green Industrial Revolution. It set out a path to Net Zero by 2050.
CO2nstructZero is the construction sector’s response. It sets out how the industry can collectively meet the Net Zero. We’ve used the Climate Change Committee’s 6th Carbon budget to establish the priorities that frame our action plan, how we’ll measure our progress and hold ourselves to account.
The 9 CO2nstructZero Priorities
The 9 priorities underpin the success of CO2nstructZero and align with government's overarching plan, clear policy direction and commitment to deliver Net Zero. There is an expectation it will result in the creation of 250,000 green jobs, attracting at least £36bn in private sector investment.
The Performance Framework
The Construction Leadership Council has published the CO2nstructZero Performance Framework.
We developed it to provide the CLC with a sector level dashboard on our progress towards Net Zero. It aims to motivate businesses to action and to help those outside the sector understand our progress.
Why and how should I become a Business Champion or Partner?
Climate change is happening. Every industry has a part to play in reducing carbon emissions and meeting net zero by 2050. The construction industry is no exception.
CO2nstructZero: The only platform construction companies need to promote their public commitments and showcase their work in the Net Zero space.
Wondering who else in the construction industry supports CO2nstructZero? Have a look below. Join the many construction companies who already support the it here.
CO2nstructZero Business Champions
Events and media
As a Business Champion or Partner, we’ll invite you to contribute at CO2nstructZero related events on based on the 9 priorities the company supports. You could be asked to attend a Business Champion launch event, be on a panel discussion, or be a keynote speaker. We also have media opportunities via the CLC and its communication channels.
Are you are a construction company? Are you a CO2nstructZero Partner or Business Champion? If so, would you like the CO2nstructZero team to present at your Net Zero event? Or do you have a Net Zero related event that you want us to promote? Please email Stuart to let us know: Stuart.Young@beis.gov.uk.
Previous events/media opportunities to date have included:
- Business Champion launch events and panel discussions
- CO2nstructZero specific webinars for example at UK Construction Week and Net Zero Live
- Presence at COP26
- CLC related events where Partners or Business Champions have promoted CO2nstructZero
- External events organised by trade associations
Why current Business Champions and Partners became involved
- Opportunity to take action on the Climate Emergency
- Currently implementing strategies and policies at company level in line with Net Zero goals and the CO2nstructZero priorities for example use of electrical vehicle fleets
- Helps facilitate conversations with suppliers and clients around sustainability by adopting and maximising the use of modern methods of construction, retrofit or heat pumps
- Helps redefine the way sustainable buildings are delivered
- Showcases projects and case studies which demonstrate modern methods of construction or other sustainable materials being used during developments
- Opportunity to collaborate and share best practice across industry
Since its launch in March 2021, CO2nstructZero continues to go from strength to strength, gathering considerable engagement and support from Government, and across the breadth of the sector and beyond, for which we are very grateful.